Feminist Style

_1210433

Anyone remember the Pink Loves Consent campaign? For those of you unfamiliar, it basically was going to change messages printed underwear for young women from suggestive, to pro-consent..

victorias-secret-panties-hack

{Spoiler Alert: It’s not real}

The campaing was actually fueled by a Baltimore based feminist group, and not the ever famous VS. When it was released, word of the campaign spread like wildfire, leaving tons of people upset when they found out the giant step for (wo)man kind wasn’t exactly happening..

_1210410

So when my friend sent me an article on a student activist who is launching consent themed underwear line, I was pretty excited.  I particularly love the creators quote: “They aren’t meant to speak for the wearer, and they won’t stop serial rapists, but they may serve as sort of a fun way to initiate conversations about boundaries and what each person is or is not comfortable with. The main goal is to help shift the culture from one that encourages sexual objectification to one that promotes consent education.”.

_1210446

Why target consent? Not only does it combat the popular advertising idea that women’s bodies are to be used, the statistics surrounding sexual assault (in the US) are pretty staggering..

1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.

Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted–that’s 207,754 assaults each year.

9 out of 10 sexual assualts happen by someone the victim knows

(Source)

54% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police

(Source)

_1210487

It doesn’t help that we live in a culture that tends to be extremely victim blaming/sex negative. I know it’s not going to fix all the problems in the world, but change is about baby steps  (and, cute underwear)..

_1210469

Shop Similar:

e54430ae-04eb-4ac2-b09a-ffccd7a4e0a4_zps29ec0b26

Thought the line isn’t ready to launch (yet), it’s well on it’s way with the help of Kickstarter. For a better description of the campaign, check out the video below, or for your opportunity to support, check out the Kickstarter page here.

What are your thoughts on the line?

image (1)

Facebook //Instagram //BlogLovin // Twitter

Have a question/comment/request? Email Me!

Untitled

30 Comments

1. Tara Simone February 9, 2014

Thank you for raising this issue up with this post. I honestly wasn’t expecting it, but I bet that this has got a lot of people thinking (and reached many who may not know). I think it’s great what these women are doing with the under wear line.

2. Amber February 5, 2014

I’m so in love with this idea! Thank you so much for sharing this on your blog, because i probably wouldn’t have heard about this otherwise. If this becomes a real think, I will totally buy as many pairs as possible.

3. Raewyn February 5, 2014

This is such an awesome campaign! I am heading over to the kickstarter now!

4. Raewyn February 5, 2014

This is such an amazing campaign!! I am definitely heading over to the kickstarter now!

5. Julia Dom @ Pennies & Paper February 5, 2014

I don’t think I would buy these myself, but it’s a cute idea and a step in the right direction. Changing a culture is difficult, and needs a lot of time.

6. Hoda February 5, 2014

Hey! I’m so very glad you wrote this! It’s always exciting to meet another blogger who discusses important issues like this! I think the consent underwear is a beautiful idea and it’s sooo great that you’re raising awareness about the issue and product! Great work and lovely post! xx

P.S. I love your look! xx

<(") Hoda

7. Kerri February 5, 2014

Oh gosh, I remember seeing this kind of weird underwear when I was younger. To me it seemed illogical to buy something that said things like ‘ready for it’ and ‘sure thing’ on it but I guess people do buy them, the same way people buy sweatpants with ‘juicy’ on the butt. It’s a little sad that young people feel they should buy this kind of stuff and it really needs more education and action against it.
    I like this kickstarted idea, personally I wouldn’t buy the underwear, but then again I like to think I’m comfortable in the area of sex. But I can see how, for the younger people, that it would probably help. At the same time, if you’ve got to the stage where the person can read what’s written on your thong, you’ve probably crossed the point of talking boundaries (I’m talking in a consenting position here).

I’m likely these thought provoking posts!

~ K

• buttonsandbirdcages February 5, 2014

Yeah, I just like that it’s a different type of message, and the fact that it’s on underwear stirs enough controversy to get people talking (and really, almost any message is better than ‘Take me’, or ‘Let’s Go’. I know the campaign isn’t perfect – Ideally, people would wear these messages on top layers of clothing to really draw attention to the topic (in a non sexual setting). Hopefully conversations happen in advance but unfortunately we know they don’t :/

I’m glad you like them though, I’m gonna try to start writing about more ‘real’ things, it’s a nice way to keep track of my thoughts and learn about other people’s opinions!

8. kelly jaspers February 5, 2014

this is an interesting post, hope things will change,
    the underwear is very cute!
    greetings http://www.we-heart-fashion.com

• buttonsandbirdcages February 5, 2014

Me too – fingers crossed for change!

9. whatwewear February 5, 2014

those statistics are horrifying! we love this underwear line, very cute!
    and by the way, you look fabulous!
    xoxo Vera & Rony

• buttonsandbirdcages February 5, 2014

Thank you! I totally agree by the way, hopefully change is coming soon!

10. Christel February 5, 2014

Great campaign! loving your outfit :)

christelpaola.blogspot.com

• buttonsandbirdcages February 5, 2014

Thanks <3

11. Sarah @ Shades of Sarah February 5, 2014

Those stats are crazy sad. If cute underwear can help grow the discussion, I’m all for that.

12. Iva February 5, 2014

You are made to wear red, that’s the color for you!

13. Ambi February 4, 2014

you look lovely dear ! love your scarf !! Thanks for visiting my blog ! I am following you on Facebook , google plus , twitter and on Bloglovin :) would you like to do the same dear :) so we can stay in touch :) xx

14. Dania February 4, 2014

Very interesting post and your look is so nice!
    Kisses

15. Margaret Dallospedale February 4, 2014

So adorable outfit!!! I like it
    Your blog is so lovely
    Would you like to follow each other on BLOGLOVIN ?
    Baci
    The Indian Savage Diary

16. Kate February 4, 2014

I love that the creator said “they aren’t meant to speak for the wearer, they’re a way to initiate the conversation.” I know plenty of women (and men for that matter) that aren’t exactly involved in relationships that practice open and honest communication. Those will definitely spark a vocal opinion in some way, shape, or “fashion.” 😉

And 1 in 6…my heart hurts.

17. Anna February 4, 2014

I try to avoid political discussions, so I’m going to do my best to remain silent other than to say that the information you provided is wonderful and insightful.

On a fashion note, I love that you wore two scarves here! I never see that! Quite clever! <3

– Anna

• buttonsandbirdcages February 4, 2014

Haha, always good to avoid intense political discussions (peoples minds are rarely changed). I will say that no program is perfect, but I appreciate efforts for change as opposed to acceptance of the status quo (Ideally, pro consent messages would also be on top layers of clothing for all to see) That being said, being aware of statistics and facts is the most important thing we can do.

As for the scarves, thank you! lol, I was feeling pretty bored and this is what I came up with lol

• Miche February 4, 2014

Also, if you ever do feel like talking politics, I love being challenged and hearing different views/ideas – I think it’s the best way to learn and grow!

18. Nout @ SandpaperKissesBlog February 4, 2014

I think it’s a great way to get the conversation started. I also have the victim-blaming that goes on and am appalled by the sheer number of sexual assaults – it’s time to change that!

• buttonsandbirdcages February 4, 2014

Agreed! I don’t know the best way to make it happen, but we need change!

19. Fashion in the Street February 4, 2014

You look great!!
    I love the pictures!! And the campaign is so hilarious!

I have new design on my blog. I hope you like it!

Bloglovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4787745/fashioninthestreet
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fashioninthestreet

20. Amanda Elizabeth February 4, 2014

what a great awareness campaign! Some of the slogans I see on undies and the back of pants are disturbing for sure!

• buttonsandbirdcages February 4, 2014

Seriously, and the fact that many of them are marketed towards young women and girls is even more disturbing!

21. Selina Kyle February 4, 2014

OMG! This is so adorable! I love this post!
    “You mustache me first” xD so HILARIOUS!

Relationships.College.Love
    New post on the blog: Forever 21 Wishlist

• buttonsandbirdcages February 4, 2014

Bahhaa, I actually didnt even get that one until you just spelled it out… *embarassing

Your Comments Make Me :)